Thursday, March 25, 2010

Panel Response

I really enjoyed our guest speaker. For me, it was extremely interesting to learn about a Dual Language school like El Sol. I am majoring in both in Spanish and English, so I really love to hear about cool places innovations such as those that are being done at El Sol. Prior to this unit, I had no idea that there even was such a place in Kalamazoo! This has really opened my eyes to what is possible in education and what is being done even in our own community!

The panel left me with questions of more ways to reach out to ESL students. Our speaker gave us some helpful strategies, however I think it is a shame that there is not a formal class required for education majors about dealing with ESL students. The need for bilingual educators, in the Spanish language in particular, continues to grow - shouldn't our curriculum for preservice teachers change as the trends in our schools' populations do?

No comments:

Post a Comment