Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Response to "Preparing Culturally Responsive Teachers"

One of the quotes at the beginning of this article stood out to me, "Institutions ultilizing the isolated course approach have found that preservice teachers and professors deal with diversity only in that one singular context. In other courses, such as methods classes and foundation and development classes, topics in diversity are not systematically addressed.

I do NOT find this to be true at all of my education and experiences here at Western. It could be the approach of the specific professors that I have had, but I feel that my education as a preservice teacher has been rich with the teaching of diversity and multicultural studies in and for the classroom. In my experience, general education classes dealing with one singular context (such as Black American Literature or Middle Eastern Literature) have prepared me greatly for this class. In this class, these topics that I learned about before have no been forgetten or pushed aside. Instead, these and many, many other topics have been brought into the light. In this 4800 class specifically, we have talked and will continue to talk about a variety of diverse and cultural topics as they pertain to the classroom.

Is the quote that I mentioned above the "norm" for preservice education programs? If so, it has not been how my education at Western has been shaped.

No comments:

Post a Comment